What was an army mobile phone doing in Mahendra Chaudhry’s front yard?

  • 14th December 2012
  • 2012
  • // Display comment count + link

Labour Leader Mahendra Chaudhry was somewhat intrigued to find a mobile phone lying on his compound. Inquiries revealed that the phone belonged to an Army officer.

The incident occurred about a week ago, the morning after Mr Chaudhry returned home from his Sydney trip. He found the phone lying on the front lawn of his residence at Suva Point at about 8am the next morning. It had definitely not been there the evening before.

He immediately informed the officer at the Suva Point Police Post realizing that the phone had either been deliberately thrown in, placed or planted on his property, and called for an inquiry.

Constable Tawake took the report. Half an hour later, he returned to say that his inquiries revealed that the phone belonged to an Army officer, Ms Tale who was based at the RFMF headquarters in Berkeley Crescent.

I was somewhat intrigued but not surprised as I am aware of military and police surveillance on me and my family members,” said Mr Chaudhry.

Later in the morning Mr Chaudhry called Constable Tawake again. He confirmed his earlier finding and said Ms Tale was with him at the Police post and let Mr Chaudhry speak to her on the phone.

“I spoke to a lady who identified herself as Ms Tale, a military officer based at the RFMF headquarters. She confirmed that the phone belonged to her but had no idea how it ended up in my front yard,” Mr Chaudhry said.

Ms Tale told him that she remembered walking from the Trapps nightclub to O’Reilleys the night before and suspected that she had lost the phone somewhere between these two night clubs.

“I find her explanation somewhat incredulous,” Mr Chaudhry said.

He has written to the Police Commissioner about the incident asking that the matter be thoroughly investigated.

“I am particularly interested to know whether Ms Tale or some other associate of hers entered my premises for some clandestine purpose and left the phone there inadvertently.

“I regard this matter as serious and urge you to direct your officers to conduct appropriate investigations and inform me of the outcome,” he wrote.

The Police have not as yet responded to Mr Chaudhry’s letter.